4.6.10

A Legacy

My child
I regret to leave you all that is left
Of a world that we have bereft
Of any sustaining value.

We raped and pillaged the land
Taking from it and building what we thought
Would give us meaning. We bought
Out the soul of the earth.

In our quest for more riches
We dug too deep and reached to far
We didn't care about the scar
That we were leaving in our wake.

We've shot a hole into the planet's heart
And now I lament on the price you will pay
For the effects of what we've done wont be felt right away
The impact will take time.

As the life blood spews forth
We all point the finger to place the blame,
As though this will all a simple game.
But no matter who's fault, or who has to pay, we all loose.

The pustulous ooze will spread
From the water, to air, to land
And though meaning well our helping hand
Propagates the pollution through the world.

I hope to create for you an Eden
Memories in your childhood of a world that is green,
For I fear, as time progresses we'll need to recall what we've seen
For the landscape, my dear, will be barren.

Where the animals once frolicked and played
Where the trees grew tall and strong
That was once upon a time, until we came along
And spread our poison.

"But mommy it was an accident that happened" you say.
Why yes my dear, but we were where we weren't supposed to be
We dredged the dark sludge out of it's home you see
because we are selfish and wanted it.

So, my child, draw into your mind the sights, the sounds, the smells
Lock it away in the ark of your mind
In hopes that one day your children's children may find
A way to recover from the damage we've done.

We put a bandaid on the world
We turned a blind eye
And for that my dear child I cry
Tears of despair that I didn't do more.

My legacy to you my child is a mess
It's a rubix cube that's been twisted this way and that,
A puzzle we tried to solve by pulling magic out of a hat
While based on sound logic, our execution was flawed.

So my dear one take from this what you can
Become a voice that roars through the land
Don't let people forget and stick their head in the sand.
Carry this forward, and pass on the tale of what we've done.

My child
I regret that I have nothing more to give
But a world that has lost it's will to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment